Sunday, May 20, 2007

making a name for myself, making friends and building muscle

First of all, I wanted to say that I think it is amazing that someone on the tie dye message boards knows my first name. I'm really impressed that she knows who I am. The person happens to be on an email list that I participate in on dyeing, and in my emails I sign with my first name, but on message boards I do not. I am proud that she made the connection. The person who recognized me happens to always use her real name, and her screennames are the same as her name, so she's really easy to recognize.

The fact that I've made an impression on someone who I somewhat admire, makes me feel flattered, and hopeful. Maybe someday, the art and dyeing community will recognize my work as much as they recognize my knowledge and use of words. I'm very excited about this. I am also very excited to submit some fabrics to the quilt symposium competition. I just love the idea of me designing some fabrics, and other people figuring out what to do with them!

In other news, I went to a social function for the day job today. We went bowling. The company rented a room for us, and it was kind of fun. I enjoyed bowling, and the fact that it wasn't too competetive. The downside though, is that not very many people actually socialized with me. Most of my coworkers enjoy drinking and hitting on men. I cannot participate in either. The only person that really made a point to hang out with me was my trainee, and she's only 19, so she wasn't drinking anyway. She suggested that she and her boyfriend go on a double date with me and my husband. It sounds like fun, because she's my mini me. She does things the way I tell her to (since she's my trainee) and she has even dyed her hair a simliar color to mine. Not only that, but she's really small... so I like the mini me name. She doesn't care for it though, so I won't say it... but I do think it! After the bowling session, she talked me into playing some arcade games with her. She beat me at every one. That's ok though. I'll kick her ass back at the office!

Anyway, after all that bowling, I'm worn out. Between that and lugging around boxes of temporary license plates this week, I'd say my job is getting me into shape.

No comments: