Saturday, May 26, 2007

leaning toward art, but still unsure

I'm still thinking about the whole day job versus art thing. When I think in terms of the next year or so, I want to focus on my day job, because it has a steady paycheck and benefits. When I think of long term, I want to focus on my art, because it keeps me sane. Of course, many artists have full careers in other fields and wait for retirement to pursue art. I do NOT want to be one of those artists. I want to do it while I am still young. I want to make art not only because it's fun, but also because I feel a need to do it. I have great skill and inspiration, which does not come easily to everyone. I feel that I shouldn't waste that energy. I feel like a day job is something I should "fall back" on, rather than do first. I just want consistent money until I have a downpayment for a house. But, sometime, before I'm old, or even aging... I'm going to pursue art as a career.

Until then, I continue to do my best at the car dealership. I mostly want to keep as many doors open as possible. If I do end up falling back on it, I want it to be there to fall back on.

Also, until then, I will continue to keep my eyes open for art fairs that I can do on my one Saturday off a month. I will continue to build my skills and find my style. I will keep making art, and considering what the public will buy.

I have also seen some discussions online about whether artists should make art for critics and museums or if they should make art for the public. I want to make it for the public. Sometimes I think about making a legacy, but I think a LOT more often about making money. My art will be good, no doubt, but I'm not going to only please the people who formally studied art. I will try to make it to please common people who know very little about art history or art theory. If someone can only say "I like it" or "I don't like it" and just pick out what colors are in an artwork, I still have respect for them. It's ok if you "don't know much about art". As long as you respond to it, I'm there for you.

Anyway, I'm getting tired and rambling. Tomorrow will be a big day with the in laws. We're going to visit Dave's brother in Bloomington. That should be fun. I just hope it doesn't take the entire day, because I have lots of things to do on my day off.

No comments: